Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Candles

It's been said that once you hit the 1/2 inch mark on a candle, you should retire it, to be sure that you aren't releasing harmful fumes from burning the container. If you're like me, you have tons of candles, and by extension, tons of glass jars with a 1/2 inch of wax at the bottom. I look at these glass jars and imagine all the ways that I would organize with and style them. I somehow became a collector of plain glass containers and I've used them to store candy, makeup, homemade snacks, and puppy treats. 

It's very easy to remove the wax from these jars and repurpose them-talk about cost per wear!! I will say that some candle wax is more easily removed than others, but you can repeat the process until you are satisfied and also I run my jars through the dishwasher-ESPECIALLY if I plan to store edibles within them. 





I bought a 3 pack of these black beauties and still have to find a purpose for the 3rd one-any suggestions??

My candy bar is constantly overflowing and this jar (taken from a 3 wick Slatkin Candle) is perfect for storing Kisses! 



Wax Removal
  • Place jar in a baking dish/pan to ensure a catchall if water/wax is spilled or if a jar shatters
  • Bring water to a boil and pour into each container 
  • Leave jars to cool for at least 30 mins
  • Skim candle wax off the top, I like to pour mine through a mini pasta strainer over the sink
  • Be sure that your sink is running the hottest water possible down the drain to prevent clogging your sink while you strain/clean the jars
  • Hand wash jars using dish soap/sponge
  • Run jars through dishwasher if preferred on the top shelf



No comments:

Post a Comment