Monday, June 30, 2014

Summer Reading-June Review



I don't want to have to be this person, but I told you so. If you haven't yet read The Fault in Our Stars or Gone Girl, you need to make it a priority to secure these books. I'll start off by saying this, these books could not be more opposite of each other, which is why I strongly suggest reading them back to back-it messes with your brain in the best way!

The Fault in Our Stars (TFiOS)-I loved this story, I found it to be a completely believable story. Love is such a strong theme in this book and John Green writes love in such a beautiful, real way. 16 year old cancer patient, Hazel Grace Lancaster takes you along for the ride of falling in love with Augustus Waters. Hazel is very wise and cynical for a girl her age and somehow, Augustus makes the world a better place for her and the reader. This book will have you sobbing by the end, but it's so worth it and you come out a better person on the other side of it, I assure you.

Gone Girl-Gillian Flynn is a fucking genius!! I try not to employ the use of my real life sailor mouth on this blog, but I can't sum it up better than that. At first, I was not interested in this book.  My best friend insisted that I read it and it took me a while to figure out why (because it's an amazing book, duh). Just to give you an idea, it took me about 5 hours to read TFiOS whereas Gone Girl took me about a week and a half. Once this book get's started though, it becomes just like a loose tooth that you can't stop poking with your tongue. The story is told from the alternating perspectives of Amy and Nick Dunne- Amy's side is presented in a series of past diary entries while Nick's is given in present day excerpts. This book follows them both after Amy's mysterious disappearance on the morning of their 5th anniversary and I can't tell you where it ends or I'll spoil it all for you. I've never read a thriller before, but now I want to read every single one if this book is indicative of the entire genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment